It is time again for another post about what daily life is really like here in Paris. For those of you anxiously awaiting to hear about our trip to Venice, I will post about that later this week.
We are in the thick of things with school and activities! Gone is the apprehension about homeschooling and major sadness about what we are missing at home that I had a few weeks ago! Just like at home, once school starts, things ramp up pretty quickly.
We have had a great first few days of school. Because we are homeschooling, I am able to adjust our schedule with the traveling we are doing. Hence, the kids second day of school this year, was on a Saturday morning, to keep us somewhat on track with the Northfield Public Schools. So far, they say, it has not been too bad.
 |
| First Day of School 2019-2020 |
 |
| Of course I need a snack while doing math! |
 |
| Mom even lets me lie down during my math lessons. |
I am actually loving the time. We start each morning off with about 30 minutes of prescribed reading. I am reading the books along with them, so we are interacting with the books in a book club format. After reading for about 30 minutes, they both respond in a journal or have a discussion with me about what they have read. Right now, Will is reading "The Cay" by Theodore Taylor and Edy is doing an author study of Christopher Paul Curtis books. He wrote "The Watson's Go to Birmingham - 1963," "The Mighty Miss Malone," and "Bud, Not Buddy."
After that, Edy goes off to do a bit of French with Duolingo, followed by her online math course through the Northfield Public Schools. Will and I tackle some reading comprehension before delving into math. We are also following the math program that the Northfield Public Schools uses, so I am able to teach the lessons to him from my laptop. After some math, he then moves to doing his French lessons.
The both come together for Writer's Workshop. I was concerned how this would go with them being at such different levels. Edy LOVES to write and is so expressive, while Will would rather draw and make comics. For this first unit, they are both working on personal narratives. Today, after they wrote for about 30 minutes, they came together and spontaneously began sharing their writing and offering encouraging words to each other. Hmmm... this could be the start of something great!
Will and I then work on some spelling and grammar from the writing he produces, before he finishes up with an online reading fluency/comprehension program (Reading Plus) or a math app (King of Math 2, Prodigy, etc). At the same time, Edy is doing the same reading program, but at her level, and working on an online typing course (TypingClub.com)
I am keeping busy planning their instruction and attempting my own online learning course at the same time. I hope to do enough of my own course work this year to guarantee a lane change upon my return to teaching.
 |
| With this cover, who wouldn't want to read this book? |
In addition to school, we have signed up for a plethora of activities that the American Library in Paris offers. Edy applied for, and got accepted into, a teen writing group. They meet once a month and share their writing with one another. In addition to that, the library also has a ton of kid and teen activities each week. The big one coming up is a Halloween Party. Kids Edy's age write scripts and try out for parts in the haunted library experience. They then dress up and act out their skits for families trick-or-treating in the library. It is so popular that even members have to buy tickets. (All other activities are free if you have a yearly membership.) Will is already signed up for his own activities there, where he will participate in a range of events from meeting famous authors and illustrators to making Lego creations based upon storybooks.
 |
| Lots of activities to choose from! |
In addition to the library, both kids are getting involved in the American Church in Paris. Edy has youth group every Sunday from 3:00-5:00. They are doing an Amazing Race around Paris. She gets divided into teams of 6 and completes tasks in and around the famous spaces of Paris. She LOVES it. I think she especially likes coming home all on her own via the metro. Will has also gotten quite familiar with staff and kids at church, attending Sunday School and Vacation Bible School.
 |
| Still wearing his Star Wars hat, even at Vacation Bible School! |
We have also signed Edy up for a weekly art class. She will explore a variety of mediums in a small group environment with an English speaking instructor through Atelier Grenelle. Will is doing a 12 week theater workshop, through the American Children's Theater. At the end of the semester they will be putting on The Wizard of Oz. For my Minnesota friends, think Prairie Fire Theater, only spread out. Finally, we are meeting other expat families and setting up playdates, which makes Will one happy kid!
 |
| We did a scavenger hunt of the Jardin du Luxembourg with our new friends from Alabama! |
We are trying to still do something every afternoons to get us out of the apartment. I try for a variety of things each week. One day is usually a park, another day is a museum. Sometimes it is just a special pastry or gelato shop I have heard about. Yesterday for example, we went and saw a short movie about the history of Paris. It was so fun to learn more about the many places we have already visited. Honestly, this time of day is my favorite to plan for because I love the experiential learning. In fact, just last week I followed the kids as they scouted the route to the train station, Gare de Lyon, so they can go on their own this week to meet their grandparents when they arrive there Friday.
With the busier days, we are also noticing the weather turning cooler. While this means long-sleeves and pants for us, we are astonished to see many Parisians already sporting winter coats. This continues to be funny to us. The days are also getting shorter as well. While I welcome fall, I am also reminded how quickly our time is flying by. As of yesterday, we have been here two months! This is hard to believe on so many levels. It feels like we are still new here yet at the same time, we have come so far in what we have learned and how much we have fallen in love with Paris. It also makes me a bit sad to think that we will have to say goodbye to this place. It really feels like home.
We have had some firsts these past few weeks. One is that we hosted an American family, that we met our first week here at our apartment, for dinner. They have lived here for about three years and been a tremendous resource. Another first is that Edy started swimming. She got up, on her own Monday morning, and went with Jeff to swim before we start school at 9:00 a.m. A big first for Will is that he is gaining tremendous confidence in his French. He has met and become quite attached to a worker at our local boulangerie. In fact, she taught him the French way to greet each other, with a kiss on each cheek (La Bise). He now does that when he sees her. Jeff continues to meticulously trying to capture on a map every street he has either run or walked while in Paris. He did it in Venice and has now moved onto Paris.
 |
| Will's favorite worker at the boulangerie. This is just after her learned La Bise. |
I continue to love the more relaxed pace here, which means I have more time to plan and prepare meals. This week I was proud of myself for buying most of the items we needed for our dinners at the Saturday market. I was able to convey my requests to the meat, vegetable, and flower vendors. (The only one that still scares me is the cheese vendor. Baby steps.) This is huge, considering I can get all of these items from the Monoprix or G20 grocery store without talking to anyone. I also scheduled and got my first haircut.
 |
| Many yummy recipes in here! |
 |
| A fresh new look! |
We are also still learning a lot and can't take that for granted. Just this weekend I realized that the coffee we have been buying for our coffee maker is espresso. No wonder I have been so jittery! We have also learned that while we might see ways to streamline processes to make waiting in line go faster, the French don't ever seem to mind waiting and really enjoy the one-on-one attention. Never is this more evident to me than at the Post Office, where the staff will wait and watch you fill out the address slips instead of helping the next customer in line. But nobody gets impatient or seems to care.
 |
| Notice the small cup size in the bottom corner... espresso! |
We also realized that we are heading into strike season for Paris public transportation. This Friday all trains and buses strike for 24 hours, the same day the kids had planned to go to Gare de Lyon to meet their grandparents. Then September 22 the SNCF, the big outside of Paris train system will strike. This is the same day I have tickets to take the kids to Amsterdam by myself, via train. BUT at least we know in advance, and at least both are just one day! This is all just part of the experience.
 |
| At least they notified us about the strike on Friday! |
That is all for now. Thank you for taking the time to read this blog. We continue to be thankful to all of you for following along on our adventure. We miss you!
Jusqu'a la prochaine fois...
Betsy
You’re
ReplyDeleteReally settling in and getting comfortable! How great is that? Thanks for keeping us posted!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWonderful blog entry. I love reading it and while doing so, I thought to myself, life will never be the same for the McLaughlin Family. What an awesome experience! Continue to embrace and enjoy your new normal because, as you already noted, it will be over sooner than you think. Already looking forward to the next entry and sending ❤️
ReplyDeleteHi!!!! I am now all caught up on the blog and loved every word. I am thrilled with everything and can’t wait to hear more. I miss you but am so happy things are going so well. All the best to you, Jeff, edy and will!
ReplyDeleteWonderful to "see" all that you are doing!
ReplyDeleteMize
This is all so inspiring, Betsy! We're taking extensive notes and living vicariously through your experiences. Would love to Skype sometime if you ever have a spare minute!
ReplyDelete