We have entered the second half of our year in Paris! In some ways it is hard to believe that we have already been in Paris for six months. In other ways, it seems like we have been here a lifetime with all that we have done. We are feeling incredibly blessed to have another six months together as a family in this amazing country.
Cresting six months, as well as entering a new year, means that naturally we have all done a little reflecting. I personally am finding myself thinking of home more often. Some thoughts are of things I am missing, while other thoughts are on things I am starting to be frustrated by - dog poop on the sidewalks, the endless transportation strike that started December 5, daylight not cresting until 8:30 a.m. Adding to that is the lists I have started creating - what I need to do to get back to the United States AS WELL AS what we all have to do when we get back to the United States - and my mind is spinning. But this is also a learning opportunity for me to make the lists, stow them away, and still try and enjoy all the wonderful moments abroad. I am also trying to remember that January usually is this way for me, even back in the United States.
And of course, I know I am in a time of letdown because we had such a lovely Christmas, just the four of us together. (We also had visitors before and after the holiday which I will write about in another blog post.) While we missed our family and friends, we enjoyed a more relaxed celebration, with the only expectations being to have fun and to do whatever we each wanted to do.
On Christmas Eve, we all set out walking to church. With the strike it is about 8 kilometers round trip. Luckily it was beautiful weather, sunny and 55 degrees! We all enjoyed seeing Will as Narrator 3 in the children's service. We then headed home to puzzles, movies and a fancy dinner of tomato soup, steak hache (hamburgers), mashed potato balls (think tater tots), and mango.
 |
| Scootering to the Christmas Eve church service. |
|
|
 |
| Just one of the views we have on our way to church. |
|
 |
| And another... |
|
|
|
 |
| And yet another. |
|
|
 |
| Will was Narrator 3 at the Christmas Eve children's service. |
|
|
 |
| Will and his friend Jake. |
|
|
 |
| Great job Will! |
|
|
 |
| These two! |
|
|
 |
| Obligatory Christmas Eve family photo! |
|
|
 |
| Then we walked/scootered home. Another great view! |
|
|
 |
| This girl! |
|
|
 |
| Entering our neighborhood on Chrismast Eve! |
|
|
 |
| It doesn't look like much, but it was what was requested. |
|
|
 |
| Their stockings are ready! |
|
|
 |
| What better night to have a slumber party! |
|
|
On Christmas morning, we all slept in and had a lazy morning opening presents. A few highlights include Edy's new AirPods, Will's new Metro Lego set, authentic bowls from Brittany, France to enjoy hot chocolate, Jeff's first book of poetry in French, a French WWI helmet for Will, and a new wallet for me!
 |
| Happy Christmas! |
|
|
 |
| My view on Christmas morning! |
|
|
 |
| Love our personalized bowls from Brittany, France! |
|
|
 |
| Metro underwear! |
|
|
 |
| A new "suit" for Will |
|
|
 |
| Will wrote a book, just for Jeff. |
|
|
 |
| Everyone loved their Lexon speakers! |
|
|
 |
| The famous UGG boots that were purchased right before my wallet was stollen. |
|
|
 |
| Books, books, and more books! |
|
|
 |
| Thank you Aunt Trish for this awesome sweatshirt! |
|
|
 |
| Will actually cried when he opened the Metro Lego set from Grandmama and Pappy. |
|
|
 |
| But the best gift of all - Jeff found Will an authentic French WWI helmet. |
|
|
While the kids stayed home to paint their toe nails and watch a movie, Jeff and I got to go out for an hour and a half walk. We came home and spoke with both sides of the family via Facetime, before all enjoying a bit of alone time pre-dinner. For Jeff that meant more puzzle time. Per Edy's request, we had her favorite squash soup.
 |
| Painting toenails and watching a movie! |
|
|
 |
| Even on Christmas Day she is beautiful! |
|
|
 |
| Back at the puzzle! |
|
|
The day after Christmas, Jeff and I decided to go on a daytime date! We rented Velib bikes (remember the train strike) and biked over to a favorite part of town called Le Marais. We visited a chocolate shop, where we ate our fill of liquor chocolates before heading to the Picasso Museum. We then explored a few parks and historical buildings, before catching a late afternoon train home. I don't think Edy and Will even missed us, they were so happy to have a day to themselves in the apartment.
 |
| And we are off on our bikes! |
|
|
 |
| And we are about to get onto one of the busiest streets in Paris! |
|
|
 |
| The Picasso Museum! After being here, I had such a deeper understanding of Cubism. |
|
|
 |
| Place des Vosges |
|
|
The following day, we rested and relaxed some more in anticipation of our friends who were on their way to visit us for the remainder of the break. I read some Young Adult fiction and assembled two new chairs, while Will created more books, and Edy and Jeff worked diligently on the 1,000 piece puzzle of the streets of Paris. They got so desperate that they took to using Google Maps to help place the streets in the right area of the puzzle.
It was so refreshing to have a stress-free Christmas this year. In fact, I felt more of the Christmas spirit this year, then I have in a long time. I did not miss the cookie baking, gift exchanging, concerts, parties, and many to-do lists that occupy most Decembers. While I know this was a unique year, I am left wondering how can I make it a more sacred time of year for us next year. What can I "give up" or "say no to"? This seems to be a running theme I am contemplating this year.
I thought I would end today's blog with some reflections to help us remember what we were feeling at this point in our year abroad. As always, thank you for reading and Happy New Year!
Betsy
What are three words or phrases you would use to describe the past six months?
Will: Fun, Amazing, Adventurous
Betsy: Flexibility, Quality Time, Living with Less,
Edy: Exciting, Independence, Challenging,
Jeff: Busy, Exhausting (in a good way), Rewarding/Fun
What do you love the most about France?
Will: It's history.
Betsy: It's culture - food, clothing, way of life!
Edy: The ease of getting around, when there isn't a strike.
Jeff: The pace of public life.
What do you miss about home?
Will: I miss my friends.
Betsy: I also miss my friends and my job.
Edy: I miss my friends and my dog.
Jeff: The ease of random conversations.
What has been your favorite place to travel to so far?
Will: Normandy
Betsy: Our trip exploring Brittany, France.
Edy: Swimming in the Adriatic Sea in Ravenna, Italy.
Jeff: Brittany
What are you most looking forward to in the next six months?
Will: My birthday and skiing!
Betsy: Our February ski trip in the Alps!
Edy: Skiing!
Jeff: South of France.
Lovely to read about your adventures abroad. You and Jeff have given your whole family a life-changing,absolutely amazing life experience! I know this opportunity will have a life-long impact on Edy and Will for the rest of their lives! Happy New Year and enjoy your next 6 months - think how quickly it will fly by and enjoy! Pat and Ken Benne
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your Christmas celebration and the journey that you’re all taking. This opportunity will shape your life for so many years to come!
ReplyDelete