Note from the historian, Will: This post was posted on the blog on November 11, Armistice Day, when Germany surrendered in World War I.
First of all when your dad says to you hey dude do you want to go on a trip you expect that there be all these museums. But you’re in France so you've got to explore. So on Thursday night my dad and I ended up taking a bullet train to Brussels Belgium.That’s where we spent our first night and of course when it’s just you and your dad you’re going to have french fries for dinner and only french fries.
The next morning my dad and I woke up. My dad had a couple work calls so I had to do some school work then I played on my iPad for a little bit. Then after that we took the metro to the Brussels airport and picked up a rental car and drove to Aachen Germany. Of course this is when your sister is on her own trip so when you call her and say you are having Subway in Germany and she asks you to bring her a pack of chips back for her, you do it.
The next morning we woke up and drove to the American Cemetery in Luxembourg from World War II. I have a great great uncle who was killed in World War II. The reason we were there was to see his grave. I was really sad and cried a lot because I really wished I could see him.
Then we drove 1 mile to a German World War II cemetery that was sad also. Then we drove to Verdun France and spent the night. In the morning my dad and I went to the battlefield of the famous World War I battle of Verdun. The battlefield used to be flat land but when World War I happened it looks like tons of astroids came down and it’s like miniature hills everywhere and when you look around you see blown up forts and trenches.
After that we drove to Waterloo battle field which was Napoleon’s last battle and we went up this really steep mountain that was man-made to commemorate Napoleon. Then we drove to Brussels again and returned our rental car. Then we spent the night in Brussels at the same place we spent couple nights before. Thanks for letting us do this dad.
Me writing comics on the TGV train to Brussels.
Look it’s the Arc de Triomphe for Brussels.
We were originally supposed to go to the Air Force Museum in Brussels but apparently it was closed so we ended up going to the car museum instead. Amazing!
This is the race section of the museum.
This is what was in front of the closed Air Force Museum (above).
The cathedral in Aachen Germany.
My great great uncle‘s grave in Luxembourg.
Me and my great great uncle.This is what I wrote about my great great uncle. His name is Warren B Day but people called him Heavy so I put that on the sheet.
Here is my great great uncle‘s grave up close.
This is the German cemetery.
Me in Luxenberg with the fort, the flag, and an airplane. What a good picture!
When you get a chance to have three burgers do it.
The world's smallest car.
Here is the memorial at Verdun.
Here is one of the 14 destroyed forts.
Here I am trying to find a helmet.
All those craters are bomb holes.
Me in a trench.
This is a giant cannon on top of a fort.
Me touching barb wire.
Here we are walking up to a memorial for Napoleon's last battle - Waterloo.
Daddy and I at the top. It is so rainy.
This is me on our last day. We had to be at the train station at 7:00 a.m. even though our train was delayed.
THANKS FOR READING
L
O
V
E
W
I
L
L
🧢
































Dear Will,
ReplyDeleteYour travel log and pictures was very interestingly! You're becoming quite the World War's historian. Especially fun to see the pictures of you exploring the areas you visited.
Much love,
Mize
Will: great narrative of a very interesting and meaningful trip. You got to see some pretty significant memorials up close. And you got to have 3 burgers, and Subway. ��
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing this very cool experience.
Kristy
Het Will, Great story of your trip. It sounds like a lot of fun, and hamburgers and Subway too! Wow!
ReplyDelete